Monday, September 3, 2012

Fear of pain


I keep thinking I should be scared of what I’m doing. After all, it is major surgery and a major life change. But to be honest, I’m not really. My biggest fear is about how I’ll handle the post-op pain.

I don’t have a great pain threshold at the best of times. And recovery is going to suck. I guess the closest thing to this surgery, was when I had laparoscopic ovarian drilling done, supposedly to help my PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). The first two days were intense agony, and I distinctly remember the hours after surgery being particularly awful. I also had sciatica in January this year as a result of a bulging disc in my back. If ever I have felt pain before, it didn’t come close to touching this pain. Oxycodone provided my only relief, and that would only work for two hours at a time.

I should be okay with the surgery, but that is probably my main fear at the moment.


2 comments:

  1. Bec you will be okay. I have a really high pain threshold but I find recovery after surgery (even egg pick ups) very hard indeed and you have been done that path so many more times than me- I think you are way tougher than you give yourself credit for. A few years ago I had some pretty serious surgery (unrelated to infertility) and I was confined to a bed for a time, hooked up to all sorts and in serious pain. Something that helped me was listening to meditations/prayers/affirmations on my iPod. I started listening to them to calm myself in the lead up and then I was able to go to that same place after the surgery. Maybe try it? I enjoyed Louise Hay but there may be a Christian faith based series you could try instead.

    I'm always barracking for you mate x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Hope all goes well with your surgery. I am also booked in for my surgery on the same day:), different hospital though. So, keeping fingers crossed all goes well. Good Luck. Amy

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys, sorry to bring back word verification (I know it's a pain), but I am getting masses of spam comments. I'd really love to hear from you though, so please leave a message!