Thursday, September 27, 2012

Sleeve ahoy!

So it's been a week since I last blogged and I am a week post op! I'll try and remember back how things went.

On Friday I weighed in at hospital at 119.35kg just prior to my surgery which I was really pleased about. I was freaking out in the theatre waiting for surgery to start, but was knocked out pretty quickly and next thing I knew, I was sleeping in my room. The first day was a blur, but day two and three I had real issues with nausea and vomiting. I couldn't keep anything down and no matter how much i was given or how many different types of anti-emetics they gave me, it didn't make a difference. Finally on my fourth day in hospital I got some relief from the nausea and was able to head home! I was still pretty poppy though after my mother in law dropped me off, and slept through the next day.

My catalogue of bruises from the procedure. I love that the one on my wrist brings out my white tattoo! See if you can spot the old man in the top left one - it was quite funny when hubby pointed that one out!


Which all brings me to today. I had my first dieticians appointment as well as a post-op check up with Dr Cohen to make sure my wounds were healing well (they are). The dieticians appointment was really helpful- to be honest I hadn't paid too much attention beforehand about what I was meant to eat, but as I've realised, it's kinda important right now! I've tried to eat the wrong things too fast (can anyone say purée on day 4 post op!- took 8 hours to digest!)

I also had a weigh in at my post-op appointment, and am very excited to report that I have hit my first milestone - 10 kilos! I was down to 116.3kg at my appointment and according to their records, my first weight was 126.5kg. I guess this ten kilos doesn't feel too huge as it brings me back to my most normal 'stable' weight that I've been for a few years, but at the same time it feels good to have dropped the first "tenner" in just a month!

I am booked in for a six week 'Success habits' course from November 8th which is a group program at Mercy where we work through the tools and techniques to surviving with the sleeve and how to manage life going forward.

My next appointment with Dr Valibhoy is at the six week mark - Monday 5th November, at which point I would love to be down under the 108kg mark, which I think is achievable.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got through surgery "okay" - I'm sure you weren't feeling okay for quite a while though! Just think, every 10kg = one dress size (give or take).

    xo Belinda

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys, sorry to bring back word verification (I know it's a pain), but I am getting masses of spam comments. I'd really love to hear from you though, so please leave a message!