Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Costs of having a gastric sleeve

I thought I'd pop down the costs that I've incurred during this process for anyone who is interested in pursuing this option. I'm in Perth and am going through Mercy Bariatrics for my surgery.

Blood tests (the bits that aren't covered by Medicare incl VITD, B12, RCF, CPEP, INS, TSH, PEI) - $121.80 out of pocket

Mercy Bariatrics Pre-Surgery appointments - $1200
This is made up of:
Bariatric assessor - $250, I received $200 back from Medicare (I have reached the safety net so my OOP is a lot less for Medicare items)
Dietician - $100, $30 back from HBF (my private health insurance)
Exercise Physiologist $80, $21 back from HBF
Bariatric Program Fee $700, non rebatable
Surgeons appointment on morning of surgery for final consents $70 (once the appointment occurs I will receive an official receipt which I can use to claim Medicare, approx $50 back)

So total $900 OOP out of the $1200 paid

Initial appointment with Dr Valibhoy - $200, approx $150 back from Medicare, $50 oop

2 GP appointments for referrals and letter for super fund - $120, $100 back so $20 oop

4 boxes of Kate Morgan shakes - $190

So so far I am out of pocket around $1280.



The surgery itself will cost $4800 which is $4000 for the surgeon, and $800 for his assistant (I will get about $100 back from this on Medicare, no extra for the safety net as it is an in-patient procedure).

I am lucky that although the anaethetist is about $1500, my health insurance will completely cover it and it will billed straight to them.

After surgery I will need to attend regular dietician, exercise physiologist and surgeon/dr check ups which will cost $$, but all up my costs including surgery will cost around $5,500 which I think is great value.

Hope that helps anyone who is considering surgery!

1 comment:

  1. This has been a very significant blog indeed. I’ve acquired a lot of helpful information from your article. Thank you for sharing such relevant topic with us.bariatric surgery St. Louis

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys, sorry to bring back word verification (I know it's a pain), but I am getting masses of spam comments. I'd really love to hear from you though, so please leave a message!