Sunday, August 26, 2012

Why weight loss surgery?

Weight loss surgery is a big deal. I wish I didn’t have to go down this path. But I do. At my last weigh in (after which I was too scared to weigh again), I was around the 125kg mark. At 172cm tall, that’s a BMI of 42.

Morbidly obese.

I have high cholesterol, PCOS, and I can’t conceive, even with 16 attempts at IVF. We were rejected from being able to adopt due to my weight. My self-esteem is through the floor.

But now that I’ve opened my mind to this possibility, I have hope about what my life could be. Being able to walk into a clothing store and know that there will be something that will fit me. Being light enough to exercise properly, to run and take dance classes. Being eligible for the adoption process if we wanted to try that path. And maybe, just maybe, being able to have a baby.

That’s the crux of it. I want a child of my own to love and adore. We’ve been down the IVF path and it didn’t work. But if I get to 35 or 40 and know in my heart that I didn’t try absolutely everything within my power to have a child, I think I would be incredibly disappointed in myself. So this is me throwing everything I have to try and bring our baby into the world. Significant weight loss is meant to help obese women regain their fertility, especially in PCOS patients. I’m counting on it.

1 comment:

  1. It worked for me. Stay strong! You can do this! I have never felt as good as when I was losing weight. My whole life got better and then I got pregnant. The weight is back now due to other things but even still I look back and it motivates me to get back there to feeling happy and proud oft self and strong.

    ReplyDelete

Hi guys, sorry to bring back word verification (I know it's a pain), but I am getting masses of spam comments. I'd really love to hear from you though, so please leave a message!